A.T. Still University's College for Healthy Communities (ATSU-CHC) invites applications for a professor of Physician Assistant Studies at the Associate Professor or Full Professor rank and Director of Didactic Education Central Coast Physician Assistants Program on the Santa Maria, California campus. This position reports to the program chair.
A.T. Still University (ATSU) is a culturally rich environment leading the way in whole-person health education with cutting edge technology and instruction. From its inception in 1892, ATSU has had a long tradition of inclusion. The ATSU College for Healthy Communities is the newest College within ATSU located in the beautiful Central Coast region of California. The Central Coast Physician Assistant (CCPA) Program is the founding academic program within the College with the mission of educating culturally-humble, diverse physician assistants (PAs) to serve the primary care needs of medically underserved communities. The Associate/Full Professor of Physician Assistant Studies and Director of Didactic Education will report directly to the CCPA Program Chair and will be responsible for the continued development and implementation of all aspects of the preclinical phase of the PA Program and to teach courses, engage in service, and conduct scholarship.
The responsibilities of the Associate/Full Professor of Physician Assistant Studies and Director of Didactic Education will include, but will not necessarily be limited to, the following.
- Collaborate as a member of the programmatic leadership team, consisting of the Program Chair, Assistant Program Director, Director of Clinical Education, and Medical Director to achieve a shared vision for becoming recognized as the principal source of PAs from historically underrepresented groups providing culturally-humble care to medically underserved communities.
- Lead and manage the ongoing design, development, and implementation of an innovative curricular model emphasizing blended learning.
- Lead and support the dynamic team of didactic faculty to educate a highly diverse student body selected for their commitment to the CCPA mission using a holistic admissions process.
- Responsible for the development and oversight of a comprehensive assessment strategy for the pre-clinical phase of the program.
- Ensure students are adequately prepared to achieve programmatic benchmarks for the PACKRAT and PANCE.
- Oversee student academic progression, retention, and completion strategies.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with ARC-PA accreditation standards and best practices in contemporary physician assistant didactic education.
- Develop and deliver academic courses as assigned.
- Participate in the holistic student admissions process.
- Conduct and disseminate scholarship.
- Serve on departmental, college, and university committees as assigned.
- Engage in community and professional service.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications, skills, and accomplishments:
- Prior academic experience commensurate with appointment at the rank of associate or full professor is preferred.
- Leadership experience in the design, development, and implementation of didactic education programs is preferred.
- Applicants who can articulate how they can collaboratively contribute to the program mission and vision will be given preference.
- Applicants who can articulate their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion will be given preference.
- Prior experience in the successful recruitment and development of faculty to be high-quality educators is preferred.
- Substantial previous clinical experience is preferred.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills are required.
- Skilled in working with a variety of different student learning styles and collaborating with faculty colleagues.
- Ability to perform duties autonomously with minimal supervision and maintain confidentiality.
- Licensure in, or eligibility for, licensure in California as a PA.
- Current NCCPA Certification is preferred.
Interested persons should complete the ATSU employment application online, which includes a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
ATSU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverages, among more. If eligible, employee-elected benefits would begin the first of the month following hire date. For more information, please visit: atsu.edu/employment/benefits.