Committee on Diversity
Committee Chair: Saloni Swarup
The goal and focus of the Committee are:
- To promote a diverse representation and leadership within the California Academy of PAs
- To increase public awareness of the available health care services especially in under-served communities
- To increase awareness of cultural diversity issues among practicing PAs and PA students
- Select the recipient of the Ruth Webb Minority Scholarship
Appointment to the Committee is on an annual term, from July 1st through June 30th. Members may be appointed at any time during the year to fill a vacancy. Interest in reappointment to the Committee should be sent to the chair by early June.
Meetings: Most meetings will be via conference calls and occur 2 – 3 times annually. The Committee may also meet in person a few times annually as needed. Committee members will be reimbursed for approved expenses relating to participation on the Committee. Other communication will be via email or telephone.
- Development and presentation of materials to educate practicing PAs and PA students regarding diversity and cultural issues
- Development of mechanisms to increase recruitment and retention of minority applicants to PA Programs
- Review applications and select the recipient of the Ruth Webb Minority Scholarship
- Mentor minority PAs for leadership positions within the PA profession and CAPA
- Submit articles for publication when assigned to do so by the Editor of the CAPA News.