Emergency Medicine Lecture Series
Speaker: PA Joe Gilboy
- Understand the mechanics and rationale behind the rapid evaluation and a door-to-needle time of ≤60 minutes as the benchmark.
- Understand the new time line for IV alteplase (tPA).
- Understand which CVA patients are candidates for mechanical thrombectomy and the time line for when it can be used.
Speaker: Dr. Thomas Minahan
- Understand the different types of seizures
- Realize that not all shaking is a seizure
- Learn the treatment options for one who continues to seize despite treatment with a benzodiazepine
Speaker: Dr. Susan Claster
- Understand how SCD( sickle cell disease) affects adults and what complications need to be monitored.
- Learn how Hydroxyurea works and how it should be used in adults with SCD.
- Learn about the issues facing adults when they present to the Emergency Room in pain.
Speaker: Dr. Raja Sivamani
- Identify and differentiate rashes that serve as an emergency and require urgent treatment.
- Determine what lab testing is necessary when treating dermatological emergencies.
- Delineate the most common drug related causes for dermatological emergencies.
Speaker: Dr. John Beuerle
- Learn strategies for the diagnosis and treatment of DKA
- Identify and treat disease processes that mimic DKA
- Learn to avoid pitfalls in the management of glucose-related endocrine emergencies
Speaker: PA Fred Wu
- Describe the epidemiology of in-flight emergencies
- List common conditions encountered during in-flight emergencies and when to consider diversion
- Describe health challenges associated with flying
- Review typical medical equipment found on domestic planes
General Medicine Lecture Series
Speaker: Dr. Barbara Burton
- Recognize the signs and symptoms or symptom complexes that should prompt investigation for an LSD
- Identify common misdiagnoses of LSDs
- Select diagnostic testing methods which will confirm or exclude an LSD
- Understand the treatment options available for LSDs
Speaker: Dr. Stephen Brunton
- Identify risks of kidney disease and its consequences in patients with T2DM.
- Appropriately screen for the presence of CKD in patient with T2DM.
- Initiate evidence-based therapy to slow the progression of kidney disease in patients with T2DM and CKD.
- Become aware of proposed new therapies under late-phase investigation.
Speaker: PA Jen Carlquist
- Review cardiac conduction
- Develop 10-step approach to reading an EKG
- Learn a chief complaint based approach to EKGs
Speaker: Dr. Shannon Connolly
- Normalize discussions about sex in the primary care setting
- Recognize the diversity in patient needs and preferences around reproduction and contraception
- Provide patient-centered counseling
- Use evidence-based guidelines while prescribing contraceptives
Speaker: PA Arianna Sampson
- To understand the critical role PAs serve in addressing the opioid epidemic.
- To develop a plan to treat opioid withdrawal with buprenorphine with referral to care or continuation of care based on practice setting.
- To advocate for and provide appropriate treatment in a low barrier care model for people who use drugs.
Speaker: PA Kerin Berger
- Define cultural humility.
- Introduce basic concepts and terminology of necessary to meet the needs of sexual and gender minorites.
- Discuss the Minority Stress Model and social determinants of healthcare that relate to medical, surgical, and mental health outcomes.
Speaker: Dr. Jeffrey Unger
- Describe unmet needs of people with migraine
- Provide an overview of the pathogenesis of migraine and cluster headache, including the role of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and serotonin 1F receptor
- Diagnose, assess and differentiate between primary headache disorders (e.g. migraine, cluster headaches)
- Utilize ICHD-3 criteria for the diagnosis of episodic and chronic migraine and cluster headache
- Describe the efficacy and safety of medications recently approved for migraine and/or cluster headache
- Individualize evidence-based therapy in people with migraine or cluster headache
Speaker: PA David Doriguzzi
- To understand the role of the primary care PA in management of type 2 diabetes
- To recognize the place and purpose of Diabetes treatment guidelines in the diabetes-management decision-making process
- To be able to navigate current diabetes treatment guidelines & algorithms
- To recognize when to follow and when to deviate from current treatment guidelines
Speaker: Dr. Jeremy Adler
- Changes in PA practice resulting from SB 697 which became law 1/1/2020
- The modified changes to PA practice as a result of the COVID-19 emergency
- Updates on Practice Agreements
Speaker: Dr. Anita Nelson
Endocrine Lecture Series
Speaker: Dr. Jerry Minkoff
- How to identify patients at risk for osteoporotic fractures.
- Ways to understand the work-up and diagnosis of secondary causes of bone loss.
- To discuss testing and treatment options with patients at different life stages.
- When to consult with an osteoporosis expert.
Speaker: PA Chris Sadler
- To understand thyroid nodule ultrasound characteristics that increase the chances of malignancy.
- To know criteria on when to recommend an FNA of a thyroid nodule according to current guidelines.
- To interpret a thyroid ultrasound report and know when to ask for more information or clarification.
Speaker: PA Kayla McLaughlin
- Learn baseline knowledge of general gender-affirming hormone therapy to interact appropriately with transgender patients and their families
- Practice transgender-inclusive conversations and appropriate questions regarding hormones, etc
- Learn the effects of masculinizing and feminizing hormones
- Understand the short and long term risks (hormones with surgery, cancer risk, etc.)
Speaker: PA CJ Chun
- To recognize obesity as a chronic disease.
- To describe the method of screening, making the diagnosis and evaluating complications.
- To develop an overall approach to care (lifestyle/medical/surgical interventions).
Orthopedic Medicine Lecture Series
Speaker: Dr. Gregory Yoshida
- To develop an appropriate differential diagnosis for low back pain
- To learn how to properly examine a patient with low back pain
- To describe appropriate treatment for various causes of low back pain
- To recognize dangerous causes of low back pain
Speaker: PA Ray Contino
- Develop systematic approach to assessing hand and wrist pain
- To correctly diagnose and treat acute injuries
- To describe treatment of chronic wrist and hand ailments
Speaker: Dr. Bradford Stiles
- To develp a working differential diagnosis for low back pain.
- To differentiate between benign and worrisome causes of low back pain.
- To learn appropriate treatment options for different causes of back pain and what can be treated safely and what needs urgent specialist evaluation.
Speaker: PA Kevin Robertson
- To review conservative versus surgical management of spine disorders
- To determine indicators for surgical intervention of the spine
- To explore various surgical management options for spine pathology
Speaker: PA Eric Glassman
- Review the acute inflammatory response
- Review the risks of corticosteroid injections and common side effects
- Describe the role of corticosteroid and anesthetic agents
- Review the disease states and conditions for which injections are appropriate
- Provide historical data, studies and research supporting use of corticosteroids
- Describe proper documentation and post injection instructions